Thursday, January 10, 2013

Music+Art+Science+Philosophy=Me loving Wassily Kandinsky

I'll bet you $100.00 you've never heard of Wassily Kandinsky. "Who is he?" you ask. Well an artist of course!! "Really," you say, "I've never heard of him." (Ah ha you owe me $100.00) What!! You've never hard of Wassily Kandinsky!! How could you?!?! Haha well its okay I guess. I hadn't heard of him either until the other day when my art teacher presented her list of 50 artists everyone should know. So here's What You Need To Know About Wassily Kandinsky:
  • Kandinsky was born in Moscow on December 16, 1866(Russian Calendar), but moved to Odessa when he was 5.
  • He was a Pioneer in the world of AbStRacT aRt.
  • He cherished the idea of creating a universally valid synthesis of painting and music, of science and philosophy. (My heart flutters every time I read that sentence, because I just love it that much. Art and Music together is just like heaven.)
  • Like a lot of other famous people's parents, the Kandinsky's weren't all that thrilled about him becoming an artist. They wanted him to be a lawyer. And he did teach law…for a little bit. He graduated from law school with honors, but later gave it up for painting.
  • Kandinsky played piano and cello from a young age, which is most likely what inspired him to be inspired by music, while painting. 
  • Later in life Kandinsky (not a lawyer at this point) said "I remember that drawing, and a little bit later painting, lifted me out of reality" (Wow! Okay, so I feel the same way. If I didn't have art and/or music, reality would be inescapable, and that is why I like them so much. If I didn't have art or music to escape into I don't know what I'd do with myself.)
  •  From the fullness of his inner life Kandinsky created lines, planes and forms.
Sky Blue
I like this one because it looks like the objects are falling, but really they could be going up, or just hovering. We don't really know we have to interpret it for ourselves, just like lyrics in a song.
 Studio del colore  
This painting reminds me of lots of things. Sound waves, cells, wheels, circles, squares, etc... A lot of these things I see are taught to us in Science class, but this too is left up to our own interpretation. ahhh so cool.
 On Points
The littlest points, can have so many meanings, options, choices, paths to take, journeys, memories, etc... I think this is what Kandinsky was trying to say through this piece of art, but then again that's just my interpretation.




 


"I applied streaks and blobs of color onto the canvas with a palette knife and I made them sing with all the intensity I could...”
-Wassily Kandinsky


(Thats just so amazing<33333333)

2 comments:

  1. Helped with my homework, so thankyou, and its nice to see you so intrigued by him. Personally I find his work hard to interpret but I can see what he might be trying to express with your own interpretations so thanks again

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was really an interesting topic and I kinda agree with what you have mentioned here! Lofi Study Beats

    ReplyDelete