Wednesday, January 16, 2013

"Chasing The Light" and "Paper Towns"

In this first project of the marking period, Ms. Kiick asked us to create lanterns out of paper. These lanterns had to be based on a season. Admittedly, I was increadibly lost (I do seem to be lost a lot, dont I? But alas that is part of this incredible journey we call life). For days and days I doodled patterns, that might possibly resemble a season. It was incredibly hard! for two reasons. 1) I wanted it to be deep yet simple. That way when someone looked at it, they wouldn't see just a season, until they looked deeper. 2) We were working with exacto-knives. Now to some people the art of using an exacto-knife comes natural. However, it was not so natural for me. I was discussing this with my guidance counselor one day, when she suggested that I do something that represented what I felt during one of the seasons. (She's so smart! She's the same person who introduces me to a ton of good music. Yes, that includes Marchin' On!) So since fall was the last season to pass us by, I could most easily relate to how I felt during the season of crunchy leaves. How did I feel this fall I wondered? I thought back to those chilly days, that were still warm enough to wear a teeshirt, but cold enough that a sweatshirt was better. And I realized the past fall I had been a pretty sad person. Fall brought back a lot of memories, and so did this project. But there were good memories too. In the fall I remembered a book I read, Paper Towns by John Green. In the end it talks about cracks, and how everytime something happens to us it leaves a mark. Bad things leave cracks, and the more bad things the more cracks, but through these cracks we can see who others really are more clearly. We become better people. This is how I made my lantern. It is cracked. Lines that represent things broken, but also the path to becoming a better person. The cracks let out light, and we must chase the light. It will make us better. 


I'll see you later my friends, and Keep Chasing the Light!!

2 comments:

  1. I see your light Erin. It's brighter than you may realize.

    Nice synthesis on this post.

    ReplyDelete