Thursday, January 17, 2013

Two sides to every story

Everyone has been told multiple times that there are two sides to every story. In this blind contour self portrait project I tried to embody that idea as much as possible. I feel like every person has many stories built off of two major stories. One is who you really are, and the other is who you let others think you are. I made this piece two sides. The one side represents who I am now, although most people don't know the real me. The other side represents what I think others think about me. It is also who I used to be. You see, people change. I grew up, I made mistakes, I learned some valuable lessons, and I am not who I once was. There are parts of me who want to be back to the old me. I was innocent, and naiive, and nothing bad had happened to me yet. But now I am also wiser. I know how to deal with a lot more things. I still have a lot of learning to do, but we all do. Nobody is perfect, and I certainly never claimed to be, because I know I'm far from it. This project definitely shows that I am not perfect, because it is not perfect either. 

The first side of my project looks like this:
It represents who I really am, and what I feel inside of me. It is colorful because it is real, and alice, and happening everyday. The main focus of this picture is my face with a tear. Something very few people know about me is that I suffer from depression. I constantly want to cry even though I don't. There are cracks, because as I described in my last post I have cracks, cracks filled with both light and darkness. There is also a brick wall, because I have built walls around this world that I live in. It is a lonely world, but it is mine. 

The second side of my piece looks like this:
This side represents what I think people think of me It is very structuredd and organized. That is how I appear on the outside. Everything has a place, and I look like everything is just fine, even when its not. On this side, I didn't use much color. There are several reasons for this. One reason is because I wanted it to be plain and simple. I feel like I must look very plain and simple to others, because thats how my old life felt. This new life seems so much more complex, so I used a much more complex color scheme. Another reason their isn't much color is because when there is darkness surrounding you everything is shades of black, white, and grey. This side of me seems to be lost somehere in the dark. The color represents the sliver of light that peaks through the cracks in the doors and windows. The light that letss you see colors, and gives you hope. The colors are hope for a new beginning, and a good ending to this long lfe I hope to live. 

No comments:

Post a Comment